Spotlight – Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort
Looking for a resort with a little touch of the old south. Why not try a visit to Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort and get a feel like you are in the Mississippi Bayou. This is one of Disney’s moderate priced resorts located closer to the Downtown Disney/Disney Springs area. So it is close to Dining, Shopping and much more. Next door to this resort is Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter which is a completely different resort. With a feel of the French Quarter in New Orleans. Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside is the larger of the two resorts.
This resort is conveniently located on the Sassagoula River which runs through Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter Resort then to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs. All you need to do is just hop on a water taxi and you are on your way. With all of the current construction going on in the Downtown Disney Springs area this is a great way to enjoy a nice relaxing way to get there with no stress about traffic.
There are two sections of this resort Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend both themed differently with different sleeping combinations.
- Alligator Bayou – This is the more rustic side of the resort. The buildings are (2) stories high and there are no elevators in this section. The rooms can sleep up to (5) guests with (2) Queen size beds and (1) small murphy bed that pulls down from the table. This is a great choice for larger families
- Magnolia Bend – These rooms are themed as old southern plantation mansions. There are four buildings all 3 stories. This section does offer elevators. This section also offers the Royal Guest Rooms in buildings 90 & 95. All of rooms in Magnolia Bend can sleep up to (4) guests. No Murphy beds in this section of the resort.
All rooms can also sleep one child under the age of (3) in addition to the maximum listed above. So you can have up to (6) in Alligator Bayou and up to (5) in Magnolia Bend – as long as the additional guest is under age 3 and can sleep in a Pack N Play/crib.
So if you enjoy the quiet of the outdoors bayou setting then go with Alligator Bayou if you like a little more upscale feel then stay over in Magnolia Bend.. What ever section you choose you will not be disappointed. They also offer different room categories to choose from. Standard View usually faces a parking lot, Preferred View is the closest to the main food court and lobby, The also offer Garden Views, Lake Views & Pool Views.. Along with the Royal Guest Rooms that also have different views.. All of the different options have up charges depending on the view you choose.
Dining around Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort
There are two main dining options along with a poolside quick snack option
- Boatwright’s is a casual sit down restaurant (Serves Dinner from 5:00pm to 10:00pm) If you are on the Disney Dining Plan this would be ONE Table Service Entitlement.
- Riverside Mill Food Court (Serves Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner from 6:00am to 12:00am) If you are on the Disney Dining Plan this would be ONE Counter Service Entitlement.
- The River Roost Lounge, adjacent to Boatwright’s restaurant for light appetizers and cocktails. Nightly live entertainment
- Muddy Rivers pool Bar on Ol’ Man Island which offers cocktails and light snacks from noon through the early evening.
Ol’ Man Island is the main pool located centrally between the Bayou & Mansions. There is one large pool with a pool slide, a spa and kiddie pool. Open between 9:00am to about 10:00pm daily.
There are also (5) quiet pools. Three are in the Alligator bayou section and Two in the Magnolia bend section. The quiet or leisure pools have no life guards and as long as you are quiet you can enjoy them 24 hours a day.
- Hourly bike and boat rentals. Or why not rent a family friendly surrey bike for $16 per half hour at the Riverside levee.
- They also offer guided fishing for adults only (Fee applies) and a kids catch and release program at the Fishin hole.
- How about a fun Horse and Carriage ride between Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside & French Quarter Resorts. Runs between 6:00pm to 9:30pm and the cost is $45 for a 25 minute ride. They can seat 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 small kids.
- There are also fun activities happening throughout the resort and by the main pool area during the day.
- Butterfly Garden located behind the Acadia house.
So if you are looking for a great Moderately priced option on site at Walt Disney World. Then Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort is a great family friendly option. It has a little something for everyone. The diversity of the decor from the two sections of Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend make it seem like you are at two different resorts.
Written by Dawn Caitano – Dawn specializes in multi-generational travel as well as honeymoons and proposals at Walt Disney World. She is also an avid cruiser, having set sail on all the major cruise lines. Dawn’s experience and expertise, along with a sprinkle of her pixie dust, will make your vacation one to remember!